Dear Parents of Mountain View High School,
I was able to attend a Latinos In Action conference this week. It is always so fulfilling to see young men and young women, many of them Bruins, participate in service organizations. Serving others is a great way for students to learn valuable lessons of life. Thanks to our Latinos In Action advisor, Mrs. Laura Green and all of her students!
Also, we had a very successful Make-A-Wish Week and raised nearly $6000 (projected) of our $7000 goal to help send Emi (our Make-A-Wish recipient) to Disneyworld – a dream or wish of hers. Thank you Student Council, students and parents for all the fun, support, and money. Hopefully we’ll get a little bit more than it looks like we’ll get.
Here’s What’s Bruin,
1) Arena Scheduling opens for next year’s Sophomore Class today, Monday, March 25 @ 1:45 p.m. Counselors will be at both junior highs from 1:45 to 2:45 p.m. for any students who need help. You may access Skyward with the student’s log-in at home or at school. Make sure you have 8 classes in both Semesters.
2) The Life Skills class participated in the ABC Unified Basketball Tournament last week. The team had a blast. They demonstrated excellent sportsmanship and played well as a team. The support of our peer tutors was invaluable. The peer tutors made sure that all of the team members had a chance to play and were included. Every student who played had a wonderful time and felt part of the team. And to top it all off, they defeated Westlake in the championship game and came away with FIRST place. These boys played hard and had a wonderful time. Team Members: Cameron Eady, Jacob Brittain, Bryce Dellaripa, Gavin Jacobs, Skyler Sun, Ryan Stephenson, and James Ward. See photo.
3) FFA members competed at State FFA Convention in Logan last week where 11 students from Mountain View attended and competed. FFA Bruins worked hard and represented us well in some very competitive contests this year. Please congratulate the following on their accomplishments: Jackson George – Landscape Management Proficiency State Winner – will represent Utah at Nationals and 2nd Runner-up – Star State Greenhand in Agribusiness, Kanesha Cobbley – 1 of 9 students selected from the state to serve on the Nominating Committee, who select the State FFA Officers for the year. Agriscience Fair Competitors: Elyda Allen & Morgan Hatch, Deseret Crane, Jackson George & Quin Wirthlin, Radi Stafford & Bryson Greenwood, Serin Leary, Ellie Allen, Toft Olander, and Mariana Andersen.
4) Mock Trial had two competitions this week. We had two teams, both made it to the quarter finals of the state. In the quarter finals one team won (yea!!) and one team lost. On Friday the semi-finals were held and MVHS, sadly, lost. Having two of the top eight teams in the state is great work. All participants from both teams should be congratulated: Melodie Adams, Zane Colter, Jonathan Hyatt, Leah O’Barr, Hope Bates, Grace Eyestone, Emma Hyatt, and Elizabeth Vogel, and advised by the famous Mr. David Carpenter.
5) Seniors and Parents, we have a list of names for diplomas handed out after graduation. Please remind your seniors to come to the counseling office to look at the list and make sure their name is on the list and is spelled correctly. Once we send the list to Jostens, it is very hard to get diplomas reprinted if there are errors, so please come and check the list this week!
6) Juniors and parents — Our Utah State University Campus Tour will be on Wed. Mar. 27. Students can reserve a spot by returning a signed permission slip to the Counseling Center. Junior English teachers, Mrs. Sanders, and Mrs. Blanchard have permission slips to hand out. A reminder — we want every single junior to attend at least one campus tour, and this is one of only two left! Sign up ASAP.
7) Thank you Tyler Anderson and MVHS Athletic Director Change:
Tyler Anderson has been our lead Athletic Director since arriving here at MVHS in August of 2016 when he also accepted a teaching position and became our Head Football Coach. He’s managed all responsibilities of his coaching, teaching, supervising, and AD roles very well. Under his leadership our football team has grown in participation numbers and we’ve qualified two consecutive years for the state playoffs!
For the upcoming 2019-2020 school year Tyler will continue coaching our football team and he will return full-time to the classroom. As a result of his increased teaching schedule, he will hand off his AD responsibilities to Jordan Blanchard and Chad Blevins.
Thank you Tyler for your dedication to MVHS Athletics and welcome Jordan and Chad to the Athletic Director position!!
Monday 25th B Day
Tuesday 26th A Day
Wednesday 27th B Day
Thursday 28th A Day
Friday 29th B Day – Assemble Schedule – Election Assembly
Red and Gold Week
March 25 Registration for Next Year’s Sophomores @LKJH and OJH
March 25 Boys Soccer Lehi @ MVHS
March 25 Softball MVHS @ Provo
March 25 Baseball Wasatch @MVHS
March 25 Latino Parent Night
March 26 Boys Tennis MVHS @ Payson
March 26 Softball Lehi @ MVHS
March 27 Girls Golf MVHS vs. Orem @ Sleepy Ridge
March 27 USU Campus Tour
March 27 Track MVHS @ Orem
March 27 Boys Soccer MVHS @ Orem
March 28 Baseball Grantsville @ MVHS
March 28 Boys Tennis Uintah @ MVHS
March 28 Softball MVHS @ Payson
March 29 Boys Tennis Provo Tournament @ Provo
March 29 Boys Soccer Salem Hills @ MVHS
March 29 Election Assembly 2nd Period
March 30 Track UVU Invitational
Reminder: Spring Break is coming up from April 1 – April 5.
David H. Smith